Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy Burns Night!

Tonight is Burns Night, so enjoy some Scotch or some vegetarian haggis (the real thing is not for the faint of heart).

Or just read some of his poems. Or listen to them instead. Tracyanne Campbell of Camera Obscura says::
We were asked by the late DJ John Peel to put some of our music to a few poems by Robert Burns, and to perform them live at Peel Acres as part of John’s annual Burns night celebration. I love my Jean turned out to be a favourite of John’s, so we decided to release it as a single and dedicate to him.


I Love My Jean

Of a' the airts the wind can blaw,
I dearly like the West;
For there the bony Lassie lives,
The Lassie I lo'e best:
There's wild-woods grow, and rivers row,
And mony a hill between;
But day and night my fancy's flight
Is ever wi' my Jean.

I see her in the dewy flowers,
I see her sweet and fair;
I hear her in the tunefu' birds,
I hear her charm the air:
There's not a bony flower that springs
By fountain, shaw, or green;
There's not a bony bird that sings
But minds me o' my Jean.

No comments:

Post a Comment