Sunday, March 4, 2012

Zona

This is not a book review but just notice that an interesting book is out there to be read. I've wanted to read some Geoff Dyer ever since reading this recommendation by Cora Diamond, and now it turns out he has written a book about one of the greatest films made by one of my favorite directors, Tarkovsky's Stalker

You can watch the movie free online (the link is here), but watching the DVD presumably provides better quality and allows you to see it on a larger screen (if you've got one). That's important, I think. According to the New York Times review of the book, Tarkovsky called making films "sculpting in time." I think of it as telling stories with light, but perhaps that's the other side of the same coin. Anyway, whether you think in terms of sculpting or light, you want to be able to get a good look at it. As Monty Python put it, "the film ends mostly visually," and that goes for the beginning and the middle too.


2 comments:

  1. In case anyone wants a preview of the book, Dyer has what I'm guessing is a selection from it in /The Paris Review/ 198 (Fall 2011). I just finished reading it moments ago (in complete ignorance of this post), and it's quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tom (if I may). There's what appears to be a selection from the selection here.

    ReplyDelete